(a) In order to prepare and to update spheres of influence in accordance with Section 56425, the commission shall conduct a service review of the municipal services provided in the county or other appropriate area designated by the commission. The commission shall include in the area designated for service review the county, the region, the subregion, or any other geographic area as is appropriate for an analysis of the service or services to be reviewed, and shall prepare a written statement of its determinations with respect to each of the following:
(1) Growth and population projections for the affected area.
(2) The location and characteristics of any disadvantaged unincorporated communities within or contiguous to the sphere of influence.
(3) Present and planned capacity of public facilities, adequacy of public services, and infrastructure needs or deficiencies including needs or deficiencies related to sewers, municipal and industrial water, and structural fire protection in any disadvantaged, unincorporated communities within or contiguous to the sphere of influence.
(4) Financial ability of agencies to provide services.
(5) Status of, and opportunities for, shared facilities.
(6) Accountability for community service needs, including governmental structure and operational efficiencies.
(7) Any other matter related to effective or efficient service delivery, as required by commission policy.
(b) In conducting a service review, the commission shall comprehensively review all of the agencies that provide the identified service or services within the designated geographic area. The commission may assess various alternatives for improving efficiency and affordability of infrastructure and service delivery within and contiguous to the sphere of influence, including, but not limited to, the consolidation of governmental agencies.
(c) In conducting a service review, the commission may include a review of whether the agencies under review, including any public water system as defined in Section 116275, are in compliance with the California Safe Drinking Water Act (Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 116270) of Part 12 of Division 104 of the Health and Safety Code). A public water system may satisfy any request for information as to compliance with that act by submission of the consumer confidence or water quality report prepared by the public water system as provided by Section 116470 of the Health and Safety Code.
(d) The commission may request information, as part of a service review under this section, from identified public or private entities that provide wholesale or retail supply of drinking water, including mutual water companies formed pursuant to Part 7 (commencing with Section 14300) of Division 3 of Title 1 of the Corporations Code, and private utilities, as defined in Section 1502 of the Public Utilities Code.
(e) The commission shall conduct a service review before, or in conjunction with, but no later than the time it is considering an action to establish a sphere of influence in accordance with Section 56425 or 56426.5 or to update a sphere of influence pursuant to Section 56425.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 513, Sec. 6.5. (SB 244) Effective January 1, 2012.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018