(a) The commission shall conduct a public process to develop a San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail Plan for the San Francisco Bay Area. The plan shall make recommendations on all of the following:
(1) Policies, criteria, and guidelines for the appropriate location, design, operation, and maintenance of access to the bay.
(2) Locations where the water trail can coordinate with landside trails and other recreational facilities to accommodate opportunities for multiday, overnight travel.
(3) Organizational structure and procedures for the management and operation of the water trail and the education of end users in ways that will advance navigational safety, protect wildlife, and foster stewardship of natural resources.
(4) Identification of sensitive wildlife areas where access should be managed or prohibited.
(5) Identification of areas where access should be limited or prohibited due to considerations related to navigation safety and homeland security.
(b) In developing the San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail, the commission, in collaboration with the State Coastal Conservancy and the Association of Bay Area Governments, shall establish and coordinate a collaborative partnership with other interested persons, organizations, and agencies, including, but not limited to, interested state, county, and district departments and commissions, parks and park districts, ports, regional governmental bodies, nonprofit groups, user groups, and businesses.
(c) On or before January 1, 2008, the commission shall submit the plan to the Legislature.
(Added by Stats. 2005, Ch. 331, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2006.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018