(a) Any policy of automobile liability insurance shall contain a notice stating limits of future coverage. The notice shall be prominently displayed on the first page of the policy or in related documents which are provided to the policyholder.
(b) For the purposes of this section:
(1) “Automobile liability insurance policy” means a policy of automobile liability insurance, and any other policy of automobile insurance that contains as a component automobile liability insurance, but limited to those policies that are defined in Section 660.
(2) “Limits of future coverage” means specified reasons for which the insurer may cancel or refuse to renew the policy or increase the premium for the same coverage.
(3) “Notice” means the specific information specified in paragraph (2) or a clear and concise reference to the exact location of the information in the policy or in related documents provided to the policyholder.
(c) For the purposes of notice of cancellation, the insurer shall list those grounds for valid notice of cancellation as specified in Section 661.
(d) For the purposes of nonrenewal or premium increase, the insurer shall state the reasons for this action which shall include, if applicable, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Accident involvement by an insured, and whether the insured is at fault in the accident.
(2) A change in, or an addition of, an insured vehicle.
(3) A change in, or addition of, an insured under the policy.
(4) A change in the location of garaging of an insured vehicle.
(5) A change in the use of the insured vehicle.
(6) Convictions for violating any provision of the Vehicle Code or the Penal Code relating to the operation of a motor vehicle.
(7) The payment made by an insurer due to a claim filed by an insured or a third party.
(e) A statement shall be included in the nonrenewal section that some nonrenewals and premium increases may result from reasons that are not specified in subdivision (d) for an insurer that are both lawful and not unfairly discriminatory.
(Added by Stats. 1988, Ch. 1143, Sec. 1. Operative April 1, 1989, by Sec. 2 of Ch. 1143.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018