(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (1) and (3) of subdivision (b), the Department of Justice shall keep a centralized list of all persons licensed pursuant to subdivisions (a) to (e), inclusive, of Section 26700.
(b) (1) The department may remove from this list any person who knowingly or with gross negligence violates a provision listed in Section 16575.
(2) The department shall remove from the centralized list any person whose federal firearms license has expired or has been revoked.
(3) Upon removal of a dealer from this list, notification shall be provided to local law enforcement and licensing authorities in the jurisdiction where the dealer’s business is located.
(c) Information compiled from the list shall be made available, upon request, for the following purposes only:
(1) For law enforcement purposes.
(2) When the information is requested by a person licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code for determining the validity of the license for firearm shipments.
(3) When information is requested by a person promoting, sponsoring, operating, or otherwise organizing a show or event as defined in Section 478.100 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor, who possesses a valid certificate of eligibility issued pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 27200) of Chapter 3, if that information is requested by the person to determine the eligibility of a prospective participant in a gun show or event to conduct transactions as a firearms dealer pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 26805.
(d) Information provided pursuant to subdivision (c) shall be limited to information necessary to corroborate an individual’s current license status as being one of the following:
(1) A person licensed pursuant to subdivisions (a) to (e), inclusive, of Section 26700.
(2) A person who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and who is not subject to the requirement of being licensed pursuant to subdivisions (a) to (e), inclusive, of Section 26700.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. (SB 1080) Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018