(a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (c) of Section 26805, any time when the licensee is not open for business, all inventory firearms shall be stored in the licensed location. All firearms shall be secured using one of the following methods as to each particular firearm:
(1) Store the firearm in a secure facility that is a part of, or that constitutes, the licensee’s business premises.
(2) Secure the firearm with a hardened steel rod or cable of at least one-eighth inch in diameter through the trigger guard of the firearm. The steel rod or cable shall be secured with a hardened steel lock that has a shackle. The lock and shackle shall be protected or shielded from the use of a boltcutter and the rod or cable shall be anchored in a manner that prevents the removal of the firearm from the premises.
(3) Store the firearm in a locked fireproof safe or vault in the licensee’s business premises.
(b) The licensing authority in an unincorporated area of a county or within a city may impose security requirements that are more strict or are at a higher standard than those specified in subdivision (a).
(c) Upon written request from a licensee, the licensing authority may grant an exemption from compliance with the requirements of subdivision (a) if the licensee is unable to comply with those requirements because of local ordinances, covenants, lease conditions, or similar circumstances not under the control of the licensee.
(d) Subdivision (a) or (b) shall not apply to a licensee organized as a nonprofit public benefit corporation pursuant to Part 2 (commencing with Section 5110) of Division 2 of Title 1 of the Corporations Code, or as a mutual benefit corporation pursuant to Part 3 (commencing with Section 7110) of Division 2 of Title 1 of the Corporations Code, if both of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The nonprofit public benefit or mutual benefit corporation obtained the dealer’s license solely and exclusively to assist that corporation or local chapters of that corporation in conducting auctions or similar events at which firearms are auctioned off to fund the activities of that corporation or the local chapters of the corporation.
(2) The firearms are not handguns.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 745, Sec. 13. (AB 809) Effective January 1, 2012.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018