(a) A person who dispenses or distributes nitrous oxide shall record each transaction involving the dispensing or distribution of nitrous oxide in a written or electronic document. The person dispensing or distributing the nitrous oxide shall require the purchaser to sign the document and provide a complete residential address and present a valid government-issued photo identification. The person dispensing or distributing the nitrous oxide shall sign and date the document and shall retain the document at the person’s business address for one year from the date of the transaction. The person shall make the documents available during normal business hours for inspection and copying, upon presentation of a duly authorized search warrant, by officers or employees of the California State Board of Pharmacy or of other law enforcement agencies of this state or the United States.
(b) The document used to record each transaction shall inform the purchaser of all of the following:
(1) That inhalation of nitrous oxide outside of a clinical setting may have dangerous health effects.
(2) That it is a violation of state law to possess nitrous oxide or any substance containing nitrous oxide, with the intent to breathe, inhale, or ingest it for the purpose of intoxication.
(3) That it is a violation of state law to knowingly distribute or dispense nitrous oxide or any substance containing nitrous oxide, to a person who intends to breathe, inhale, or ingest it for the purpose of intoxication.
(c) This section shall not apply to any person who administers nitrous oxide for the purpose of providing medical or dental care, if administered by a medical or dental practitioner licensed by this state or at the direction or under the supervision of a practitioner licensed by this state.
(d) This section does not apply to the sale of nitrous oxide contained in food products for use as a propellant.
(e) This section shall not apply to the sale or distribution of nitrous oxide by a wholesaler licensed by the Board of Pharmacy or manufacturer classified under Code Number 325120 or 424690 of the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS).
(f) (1) Information obtained from a person to whom nitrous oxide was distributed or dispensed pursuant to this section shall be confidential and shall be used solely for the purposes provided in this section.
(2) Except as provided in this section, a person who dispenses or distributes nitrous oxide shall not use, review, or disclose any information obtained pursuant to this section.
(3) A person who violates this subdivision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed six months, or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.
(Added by Stats. 2014, Ch. 458, Sec. 2. (AB 1735) Effective January 1, 2015.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018