88.3071 Duties of support enforcement agency.—
(1) In a proceeding under this act, a support enforcement agency of this state, upon request:
(a) Shall provide services to a petitioner residing in a state;
(b) Shall provide services to a petitioner requesting services through a central authority of a foreign country as described in s. 88.1011(5)(a) or (d); and
(c) May provide services to a petitioner who is an individual not residing in a state.
(2) A support enforcement agency that is providing services to the petitioner as appropriate shall:
(a) Take all steps necessary to enable an appropriate tribunal in this state, another state, or a foreign country to obtain jurisdiction over the respondent.
(b) Request an appropriate tribunal to set a date, time, and place for a hearing.
(c) Make a reasonable effort to obtain all relevant information, including information as to income and property of the parties.
(d) Within 10 days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after receipt of a written notice from an initiating, responding, or registering tribunal, send a copy of the notice to the petitioner.
(e) Within 10 days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after receipt of a written communication from the respondent or the respondent’s attorney, send a copy of the communication to the petitioner.
(f) Notify the petitioner if jurisdiction over the respondent cannot be obtained.
(3) A support enforcement agency of this state that requests registration of a child support order in this state for enforcement or for modification shall make reasonable efforts:
(a) To ensure that the order to be registered is the controlling order; or
(b) If two or more child support orders exist and the identity of the controlling order has not been determined, to ensure that a request for such a determination is made in a tribunal having jurisdiction to do so.
(4) A support enforcement agency of this state that requests registration and enforcement of a support order, arrears, or judgment stated in a foreign currency shall convert the amounts stated in the foreign currency into the equivalent amounts in dollars under the applicable official or market exchange rate as publicly reported.
(5) A support enforcement agency of this state shall issue or request a tribunal of this state to issue a child support order and an income-withholding order that redirect payment of current support, arrears, and interest if requested to do so by a support enforcement agency of another state pursuant to s. 88.3191.
(6) This act does not create or negate a relationship of attorney and client or other fiduciary relationship between a support enforcement agency or the attorney for the agency and the individual being assisted by the agency.
History.—s. 3, ch. 96-189; s. 23, ch. 97-170; s. 22, ch. 2011-92.Section: Previous 88.3011 88.3021 88.3031 88.3041 88.3051 88.3061 88.3071 88.3081 88.3091 88.3101 88.3111 88.3121 88.3131 88.3141 88.3151 Next
Last modified: September 23, 2016