(a) The mother of a child born out of wedlock, the other children of the mother, and other maternal kin may inherit from and through the child born out of wedlock in the same manner as though the child were legitimate.
(b) The father of a child born out of wedlock, the other children of the father, and other paternal kin may inherit from and through the child born out of wedlock in the same manner as if the child were legitimate if:
(1) A court of competent jurisdiction has entered an order declaring the child to be legitimate under the authority of Code Section 19-7-22 or such other authority as may be provided by law;
(2) A court of competent jurisdiction has otherwise entered a court order establishing paternity;
(3) The father has, during the lifetime of the child, executed a sworn statement signed by the father attesting to the parent-child relationship;
(4) The father has, during the lifetime of the child, signed the birth certificate of the child; or
(5) The presumption of paternity described in division (2)(B)(ii) of Code Section 53-2-3 has been established and has not been rebutted by clear and convincing evidence.Section: Previous 53-2-1 53-2-2 53-2-3 53-2-4 53-2-5 53-2-6 53-2-7 53-2-8 Next
Last modified: October 14, 2016