§325-124 Purposes for access to registry information; access not a disclosure. (a) Notwithstanding section 325-123, it shall not be a disclosure for the persons listed in subsections (b), (c), (d), and (e) to have limited access to registry information for the purposes specified in each subsection.
(b) Registry information regarding specific individuals in the registry may be accessed by authorized health care providers who are treating, have treated, or have been assigned to treat those individuals; by authorized employees of these health care providers; and by authorized department of health personnel assigned to monitor the immunization or health status of those individuals for the purposes of:
(1) Recording the administration of any vaccination, including pandemic influenza vaccine;
(2) Determining the immunization history of a patient to deliver health care treatment accordingly;
(3) Notifying individuals or parents or legal guardians of the need to schedule a visit for an immunization;
(4) Generating official immunization records;
(5) Ensuring compliance with mandatory immunization requirements;
(6) Recording the distribution of prophylactic and treatment medications administered or dispensed in preparation for and in response to a potentially catastrophic disease threat; or
(7) Complying with Hawaii vaccines for children and other state-provided vaccine programs' vaccine ordering and accountability policies and procedures.
(c) Registry information regarding specific individuals in the registry may be accessed by school and post-secondary school personnel authorized by the director of health, the superintendent of education, or the administrator of a private or post-secondary school for the purpose of ensuring compliance with mandatory student immunization requirements.
(d) Registry information regarding specific individuals in the registry may be accessed by authorized health organizations that have been contracted to provide health insurance or health plan coverage for those individuals; provided that access is limited to only the enrollees, members, subscribers, and insureds of the authorized health organization, and for the purpose of producing immunization assessment reports by the authorized health organization.
(e) Registry information regarding specific individuals in the registry may be accessed by the department of health or agents of the department of health for the purposes of:
(1) Ensuring compliance with mandatory immunization requirements;
(2) Performing immunization-related quality improvement or quality assessment activities;
(3) Complying with Hawaii vaccines for children and other state-provided vaccine programs' vaccine ordering and accountability policies and procedures;
(4) Producing aggregate immunization assessment reports to monitor and improve public health;
(5) Supporting efforts to prevent and manage outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases, including pandemic influenza;
(6) Assisting the department of health in the event of a public health emergency; or
(7) Managing and maintaining the Hawaii immunization registry system.
(f) The use of registry information accessed pursuant to this section shall be limited to the purposes for which access is granted. [L 2010, c 113, pt of §1; am L 2012, c 275, §3]Section: Previous 325-111 325-112 325-113 325-114 325-115 325-116 325-117 325-121 325-122 325-123 325-124 325-125 325-126 Next
Last modified: October 27, 2016