Article heading reenacted by L 2015, c 77, pt of §1.
Parts I, II, and III headings in this Article deleted by L 2015, c 77, pt of §1.
§576B-201 Bases for jurisdiction over nonresident. (a) In a proceeding to establish or enforce a support order or to determine parentage of a child, a tribunal of this State may exercise personal jurisdiction over a nonresident individual or the individual's guardian or conservator if:
(1) The individual is personally served with summons or notice within this State;
(2) The individual submits to the jurisdiction of this State by consent in a record, by entering a general appearance, or by filing a responsive document having the effect of waiving any contest to personal jurisdiction;
(3) The individual resided with the child in this State;
(4) The individual resided in this State and provided prenatal expenses or support for the child;
(5) The child resides in this State as a result of the acts or directives of the individual;
(6) The individual engaged in sexual intercourse in this State and the child may have been conceived by that act of intercourse;
(7) The individual asserted parentage of the child in the office of health status monitoring maintained in this State by the department of health; or
(8) There is any other basis consistent with the constitutions of this State and the United States for the exercise of personal jurisdiction.
(b) The bases of personal jurisdiction set forth in subsection (a) or in any other law of this State may not be used to acquire personal jurisdiction for a tribunal of this State to modify a child support order of another state unless the requirements of section 576B-611 are met, or in the case of a foreign support order, unless the requirements of section 576B-615 are met. [L 1997, c 295, pt of §1; am L 2015, c 77, pt of §1]
Where family court had neither general nor specific jurisdiction over father, court erred in entering default judgment against father in mother's child support action. 110 H. 294 (App.), 132 P.3d 862 (2006).Section: Previous 576b-101 576b-102 576b-103 576b-104 576b-105 576b-201 576b-202 576b-203 576b-204 576b-205 576b-206 576b-207 576b-208 576b-209 576b-210 Next
Last modified: October 27, 2016