Article heading reenacted by L 2015, c 77, pt of §1.
§576B-307 Duties of support enforcement agency. (a) A support enforcement agency of this State, upon request, shall provide services to a petitioner in a proceeding under this chapter.
(b) A support enforcement agency of this State that is providing services to the petitioner shall:
(1) Take all steps necessary to enable an appropriate tribunal of this State, another state, or a foreign country to obtain jurisdiction over the respondent;
(2) Request an appropriate tribunal to set a date, time, and place for a hearing;
(3) Make a reasonable effort to obtain all relevant information, including information as to income and property of the parties;
(4) Within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after receipt of notice in a record from an initiating, responding, or registering tribunal, send a copy of the notice to the petitioner;
(5) Within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after receipt of communication in a record from the respondent or the respondent's attorney, send a copy of the communication to the petitioner; and
(6) Notify the petitioner if jurisdiction over the respondent cannot be obtained.
(c) A support enforcement agency of this State that requests registration of a child support order in this State for enforcement or for modification shall make reasonable efforts:
(1) To ensure that the order to be registered is the controlling order; or
(2) If two or more child support orders exist and the identity of the controlling order has not been determined, to ensure that a request is made to a tribunal having jurisdiction to make the determination.
(d) A support enforcement agency of this State that requests registration and enforcement of a support order, arrears, or judgment stated in a foreign currency shall convert the amounts stated in the foreign currency into the equivalent amounts in United States dollars under the applicable official or market exchange rate as publicly reported.
(e) A support enforcement agency of this State shall issue or request a tribunal of this State to issue a child support order and an income withholding order that redirect payment of current support, arrears, and interest if requested to do so by a support enforcement agency of another state pursuant to section 576B-319.
(f) This chapter does not create or negate a relationship of attorney and client or other fiduciary relationship between a support enforcement agency or the attorney for the agency and the individual being assisted by the agency. [L 1997, c 295, pt of §1; am L 2015, c 77, pt of §1]Section: Previous 576b-211 576b-301 576b-302 576b-303 576b-304 576b-305 576b-306 576b-307 576b-308 576b-309 576b-310 576b-311 576b-312 576b-313 576b-314 Next
Last modified: October 27, 2016