Federal and State Laws
Michigan Compiled Laws Act 328 Of 1976 Animals Running At Large (433.11 - 433.20)
AN ACT to regulate animals running at large; to provide for compensation for damage done by animals running at large; to prescribe penalties; and to repeal certain acts and parts of acts.
1976, Act 328, Eff. Mar. 31, 1977
Section 433.11 Definitions.
As used in this act: (a) "Animals" means cattle, horses, sheep, swine, mules, burros, or goats. (b) "Owner" means a person who has a...
Section 433.12 Animals Running At Large Prohibited; Violation As Misdemeanor.
(1) An animal shall not run at large in this state. (2) The owner of an animal shall not permit or enable his animal...
Section 433.13 Loss Of, Or Damage To, Property By Animal Running At Large; Demand For Compensation.
(1) A person who sustains any loss of, or damage to, property by an animal running at large may demand reasonable compensation from the...
Section 433.14 Seizure And Taking Into Custody Or Possession Animal Running At Large; Notice To Law Enforcement Agency.
(1) A law enforcement officer may seize and take into custody or possession any animal running at large in violation of this act. (2)...
Section 433.14a Public Nuisance; Authority To Kill Swine Running At Large; Prohibition.
(1) Swine running at large on public or private property are a public nuisance. (2) A local animal control officer appointed under the dog...
Section 433.15 Duties Of Law Enforcement Agency.
A law enforcement agency which takes custody or possession of an animal under this act shall: (a) If the owner of the animal is...
Section 433.16 Sale Of Animal At Public Auction; Notice; Sale To Highest Bidder; Disposition Of Proceeds; Redemption Of Animal.
(1) A law enforcement agency which has in its custody or possession an unclaimed animal for not less than 15 days after giving notice...
Section 433.17 Destruction Of Animal.
An animal which is not purchased at a public auction held pursuant to section 6 may be destroyed by the law enforcement agency. History:...
Section 433.18 Return Of Animal To Owner; Claim; Conditions.
The owner of an animal in the custody or possession of a law enforcement agency pursuant to this act, at any time prior to...
Section 433.19 Ordinance Prohibiting Keeping Of Racing Pigeons.
A city, village, township, or county shall not enact an ordinance which prohibits the orderly keeping of racing pigeons. History: 1976, Act 328, Eff....
Section 433.20 Repealed. 2010, Act 69, Imd. Eff. May 13, 2010.
Compiler's Notes: The repealed section pertained to repeal of MCL 433.1 to 433.6.
Last modified: October 10, 2016