Return of prescription drug to dispensing pharmacy for reissuance of drug; reissuance of drug by dispensing pharmacy; regulations.
1. A public or private mental health facility may return a prescription drug that is dispensed to a patient of the facility, but will not be used by that patient, to the dispensing pharmacy for the purpose of reissuing the drug to fill other prescriptions for patients in that facility if:
(a) The drug is not a schedule II drug specified in or pursuant to chapter 453 of NRS;
(b) The drug is dispensed in a unit dose, in individually sealed doses or in a bottle that is sealed by the manufacturer of the drug;
(c) The drug is returned unopened and sealed in the original manufacturer’s packaging or bottle;
(d) The usefulness of the drug has not expired;
(e) The packaging or bottle contains the expiration date of the usefulness of the drug; and
(f) The name of the patient for whom the drug was originally prescribed, the prescription number and any other identifying marks are obliterated from the packaging or bottle before the return of the drug.
2. A dispensing pharmacy to which a drug is returned pursuant to this section may reissue the drug to fill other prescriptions for patients in the same facility if the registered pharmacist of the pharmacy determines that the drug is suitable for that purpose in accordance with standards adopted by the State Board of Pharmacy pursuant to subsection 5.
3. No drug that is returned to a dispensing pharmacy pursuant to this section may be used to fill other prescriptions more than one time.
4. A mental health facility shall adopt written procedures for returning drugs to a dispensing pharmacy pursuant to this section. The procedures must:
(a) Provide appropriate safeguards for ensuring that the drugs are not compromised or illegally diverted during their return.
(b) Require the maintenance and retention of such records relating to the return of such drugs as are required by the State Board of Pharmacy.
(c) Be approved by the State Board of Pharmacy.
5. The State Board of Pharmacy shall adopt such regulations as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this section, including, without limitation, requirements for:
(a) Returning and reissuing such drugs pursuant to the provisions of this section.
(b) Maintaining records relating to the return and the use of such drugs to fill other prescriptions.
Last modified: February 27, 2006