Nevada Revised Statutes Section 435.123 - Mental Health

Involuntary admission: Petition to district court; certificate of alleged mental retardation or related condition. Whenever a person is alleged to be mentally retarded or to have a related condition and is alleged to be a clear and present danger to himself or others, his parent or guardian or another responsible person may initiate proceedings for his involuntary admission to a mental retardation center by petitioning the district court of the county where the person resides. The petition must be accompanied by a certificate signed by a physician or licensed psychologist experienced in the diagnosis of mental retardation and related conditions stating that he has examined the person within the preceding 30 days and has concluded that the person is mentally retarded or is a person with a related condition, has demonstrated that he is a clear and present danger to himself or others and is in need of institutional training and treatment.

Last modified: February 27, 2006