17:16C-99. Rescission; duties of buyer and seller; exclusion of certain sales
(a) Any home repair contract, for a purchase price in excess of $25.00, which is entered into at a place other than the place of business of the home repair contractor may be rescinded by the owner if the owner:
(1) Furnishes to the home repair contractor a notice of intent to rescind the home repair contract by certified mail, return receipt requested, postmarked not later than 5 p.m. of the third business day following the day on which the home repair contract is executed; and
(2) Gives up possession of any goods, subject to such home repair contract, delivered to the owner prior to receipt by the home repair contractor of such notice of intent to rescind.
(b) Within 10 business days after receipt of such notice of intent to rescind the home repair contract, a home repair contractor shall:
(1) Pick up, at his own expense, any goods subject to such contract, delivered to the owner prior to receipt by the home repair contractor of such notice;
(2) Refund to the owner all amounts of money paid by the owner (less reasonable charges for any damages to such goods which occurred while in the possession of the owner); and
(3) Redeliver to the owner any goods traded-in to the home repair contractor on account of or in contemplation of the home repair contract (less any reasonable charges actually incurred in making the goods ready for sale).
(c) This section does not apply to mail order sales, telephone sales, catalog sales where an order is placed by mail or telephone, or sales in which the owner has requested the home repair contractor to enter into the sale at a place other than the home repair contractor's place of business, but it does apply to sales in which the owner has requested the home repair contractor to conduct a demonstration or exhibition at a place other than the home repair contractor's place of business and has not also requested to enter into a sale at the place at the same time he has requested such demonstration or exhibition.
(d) Each home repair contractor shall maintain a record of the receipt of any owner's notice of intent to rescind a sale under this act for at least 18 months after the receipt of such notice of intent to rescind.
L.1968, c. 224, s. 5. Amended by L.1973, c. 183, s. 2.
Section: Previous 17-16c-90 17-16c-93 17-16c-94 17-16c-95 17-16c-96 17-16c-97 17-16c-98 17-16c-99 17-16c-100 17-16c-101 17-16c-102 17-16c-103 17-16d-1 17-16d-2 17-16d-3 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016