17:23A-9. Correction, amendment or deletion of recorded personal information
Correction, amendment or deletion of recorded personal information. a. Within 30 business days from the date of receipt of a written request from an individual to correct, amend or delete any recorded personal information about the individual within its possession, an insurance institution, agent or insurance-support organization shall either:
(1) Correct, amend or delete the portion of the recorded personal information in dispute; or
(2) Notify the individual of:
(a) Its refusal to make the correction, amendment or deletion,
(b) The reasons for the refusal, and
(c) The individual's right to file a statement as provided in subsection c.
b. If the insurance institution, agent, or insurance-support organization corrects, amends or deletes recorded personal information in accordance with paragraph (1) of subsection a. above, the insurance institution, agent or insurance-support organization shall so notify the individual in writing and furnish the correction, amendment or fact of deletion to:
(1) Any person specifically designated by the individual who may have, within the preceding two years, received the recorded personal information;
(2) Any insurance-support organization whose primary source of personal information is insurance institutions if the insurance-support organization has systematically received the recorded personal information from the insurance institution within the preceding seven years; except that the correction, amendment or fact of deletion need not be furnished if the insurance-support organization no longer maintains recorded personal information about the individual; and
(3) Any insurance-support organization that furnished the personal information that has been corrected, amended or deleted.
c. Whenever an individual disagrees with an insurance institution's, agent's or insurance-support organization's refusal to correct, amend or delete recorded personal information, the individual shall be permitted to file with the insurance institution, agent or insurance-support organization:
(1) A concise statement setting forth what the individual thinks is the correct, relevant or fair information, and
(2) A concise statement of the reasons why the individual disagrees with the insurance institution's, agent's or insurance-support organization's refusal to correct, amend or delete recorded personal information.
d. In the event an individual files either statement as described in subsection c. above, the insurance institution, agent or support organization shall:
(1) File the statement with the disputed personal information and provide a means by which anyone reviewing the disputed personal information will be made aware of the individual's statement and have access to it, and
(2) In any subsequent disclosure by the insurance institution, agent or support organization of the recorded personal information that is the subject of disagreement, clearly identify the matter or matters in dispute and provide the individual's statement along with the recorded personal information being disclosed, and (3) Furnish the statement to the persons and in the manner specified in subsection b. above.
e. The rights granted to individuals in this section shall extend to all natural persons to the extent information about them is collected and maintained by an insurance institution, agent or insurance-support organization in connection with an insurance transaction. The rights granted to all natural persons by this section shall not extend to information about them that relates to and is collected in connection with or in reasonable anticipation of a claim or civil or criminal proceeding involving them.
f. For the purposes of this section, the term "insurance-support organization" does not include a consumer reporting agency.
L. 1985, c. 179, s. 9.
Section: Previous 17-23a-2 17-23a-3 17-23a-4 17-23a-5 17-23a-6 17-23a-7 17-23a-8 17-23a-9 17-23a-10 17-23a-11 17-23a-12 17-23a-13 17-23a-13.1 17-23a-13.2 17-23a-13.3 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016