17:30C-28. Allowance of certain claims
a. No contingent claim shall share in a distribution of the assets of an insurer which has been adjudicated to be insolvent by an order made pursuant to section 30 a., except that such claims shall be considered, if properly presented, and may be allowed to share where
(1) Such claim becomes absolute against the insurer on or before the last day fixed for filing of proofs of claim against the assets of such insurer; or
(2) There is a surplus and the liquidation is thereafter conducted upon the basis that such insurer is solvent.
b. Where an insurer has been so adjudicated to be insolvent, any person who has a cause of action against an insured of such insurer, shall have the right to file a claim in the liquidation proceeding, regardless of the fact that such claim may be contingent, and such claim may be allowed
(1) If it may be reasonably inferred from the proof presented upon such claim that such person would be able to obtain a judgment upon such cause of action against such insured; and
(2) If such person shall furnish suitable proof, unless the court, for good cause shown, shall otherwise direct, that no further valid claims against such insurer arising out of his cause of action, other than those already presented, can be made; and
(3) If the total liability of such insurer to all claimants arising out of the same act of its insured shall be no greater than its maximum liability would be, were it not in liquidation.
c. No judgment against such an insured, taken after the date of the entry of the liquidated order, shall be considered in the liquidation proceedings as evidence of liability, or of the amount of damages, and no judgment against an insured taken by default, inquest or by collusion prior to the entry of the liquidation order, shall be considered as conclusive evidence in the liquidation proceeding, either of the liability of such insured to such person upon such cause of action, or of the amount of damage to which such person is therein entitled.
L.1975, c. 113, s. 28, eff. June 3, 1975.
Section: Previous 17-30c-21 17-30c-22 17-30c-23 17-30c-24 17-30c-25 17-30c-26 17-30c-27 17-30c-28 17-30c-29 17-30c-30 17-30c-31 17-30d-1 17-30d-2 17-30d-3 17-30d-4 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016