17:9A-11. Hearing on application for charter; approval
A. At the time and place designated for the hearing, the incorporators shall file proof with the commissioner that the publication and mailing of the notice of application for charter have been made in the manner required by section 10. If the commissioner shall find that proper publication and mailing have been made, he shall proceed with the hearing on the application, and shall afford all those desirous thereof, an opportunity to be heard. In addition to the matters presented at the hearing, the commissioner shall consider such facts and circumstances as he may determine to be relevant as a result of an independent investigation made or caused to be made by him.
B. The commissioner shall, within 90 days after the hearing, approve or disapprove the application and shall file a written memorandum of his decision in the department in which he shall state the reasons for his decision.
C. If the certificate of incorporation states that the proposed bank or savings bank is to be authorized to exercise any of the powers specified in section 28 which are permitted to it under this act, the commissioner shall give special consideration to the following in determining whether to approve or disapprove the application for charter:
(1) The needs of the community for trust services, and the probable volume of trust business which will be available to the bank or savings bank;
(2) The nature of the supervision to be given to the proposed fiduciary activities;
(3) Whether the bank or savings bank has available competent legal counsel to advise and pass upon trust matters whenever necessary; and
(4) Any other matters which in the discretion of the commissioner are relevant.
D. If the commissioner shall determine, as a result of the hearing and of the independent investigation made or caused to be made by him
(1) That the interest of the public will be served to advantage by the establishment of the proposed bank or savings bank;
(2) That conditions in the locality in which the proposed bank or savings bank will transact business afford reasonable promise of successful operation;
(3) That the directors or managers designated in the certificate of incorporation possess the qualifications, experience and character required for the duties and responsibilities with which they will be charged;
(4) That no fees, commissions, or other compensation have been paid for the promotion of the bank or savings bank, or for the sale of the stock of the bank, or for obtaining subscriptions for the capital deposits of the savings bank; and
(5) That, in the case of a bank, the entire capital stock has been subscribed for, and that each subscriber has undertaken in writing to pay in cash, upon approval according to law of the certificate of incorporation, his proportionate share of the capital stock, surplus and reserve fund for organization expense, specified in the certificate of incorporation; or
(6) That, in the case of a savings bank, the capital deposits have been subscribed in full, and each subscriber has undertaken in writing to pay in cash, upon approval according to law of the certificate of incorporation, his proportionate share of the capital deposits;
and if the certificate of incorporation of the proposed bank or savings bank states that it is to be authorized to exercise any of the powers specified in section 28 which are permitted to it under this act,
(7) That, in the case of a bank, the capital stock is not less than $500,000.00; or that, in the case of a savings bank, the capital deposits are not less than $500,000.00; and
(8) That, having given consideration to the matters specified in subsection C of this section, the bank or savings bank should be authorized to exercise such stated powers;
he shall approve the application.
L.1948, c. 67, p. 187, s. 11. Amended by L.1965, c. 171, s. 4; L.1970, c. 165, s. 1.
Section: Previous 17-9a-8.13 17-9a-8.14 17-9a-8.15 17-9a-8.16 17-9a-8.17 17-9a-9 17-9a-10 17-9a-11 17-9a-12 17-9a-13 17-9a-14 17-9a-15 17-9a-16 17-9a-17 17-9a-17.1 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016