27:5-18. Rules and regulations
14. a. The commissioner may adopt rules and regulations pursuant to the provisions of the "Administrative Procedure Act," P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.) to effectuate the purposes of this act provided that a public hearing on the proposed rule or regulation shall be held with appropriate notice as provided in that act. These regulations shall include, but shall not be limited to: licensing and permitting fees; duration of licenses and permits; spacing, size, specifications and lighting of signs; procedures for referral of contested cases to the Office of Administrative Law; and other requirements pertaining to the issuance or denial of licenses and permits or for the erection or maintenance of signs, and other matters necessary to effectuate the purposes of this act. The commissioner also may adopt regulations governing new or innovative forms of signs so that they may be made to conform with the intent and purposes of this act.
b. In adopting regulations pursuant to this act, the commissioner shall give due consideration to:
(1) The safety, convenience and enjoyment of travel on the highways and to the public investment in those highways;
(2) The type of information needed by the traveling public when using those highways;
(3) Outdoor advertising industry standards, practices and technological advances;
(4) Promotion of safety and aesthetics through modernization, technological improvements and innovative construction, design and maintenance;
(5) The economic benefit of outdoor advertising to the commerce of this State; and
(6) The needs of the citizens of and travelers within the State to have access to commercial and non-commercial messages and ideas displayed by roadside signs.
Section: Previous 27-5-11 27-5-12 27-5-13 27-5-14 27-5-15 27-5-16 27-5-17 27-5-18 27-5-19 27-5-20 27-5-21 27-5-22 27-5-23 27-5-24 27-5-25 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016