2. Definitions. When used in this chapter.
1. The term "commission" or "state commission" means the state civil service commission;
2. The term "president" means the president of the state civil service commission;
3. The term "department" or "civil service department" means the state department of civil service, unless otherwise expressly stated or unless the context requires a different meaning;
4. The term "municipal commission" or "municipal civil service commission" means the civil service commission of a city, of a county, or of a suburban town governed pursuant to article three-A of the town law and having a population of at least fifty thousand as shown in the most recent decennial federal census or special population census taken pursuant to section twenty of the general municipal law, or the personnel officer of a city, of a county, or of such a suburban town, or a regional civil service commission or a regional personnel officer, as the case may be, unless otherwise expressly stated or unless the context requires a different meaning;
5. The "civil service" of the state of New York or any of its civil divisions includes all offices and positions in the service of the state or of such civil divisions, except such offices and positions in the militia and the military departments as are or may be created under the provisions of article twelve of the constitution;
6. The "state service" shall include all offices and positions in the civil service of the state;
7. The "city service" shall include all offices and positions in the civil service of any city;
8. The "service of a civil division" shall include all offices and positions in the civil service of any subdivision of the state; and the term "civil division" shall include within its meaning a city;
9. The term "appointing authority" or "appointing officer" means the officer, commission or body having the power of appointment to subordinate positions;
10. The term "jurisdictional classification" means the assignment of positions in the classified service to the competitive, non-competitive, exempt or labor classes;
11. The term "position classification" means a grouping together, under common and descriptive titles, of positions that are substantially similar in the essential character and scope of their duties and responsibilities and in the qualification requirements therefor;
12. The term "board of supervisors" shall include within its meaning the elective governing body of a county which has no board of supervisors.
Last modified: February 3, 2019