52. Establishment and organization. 1. There is hereby established the office of the state inspector general in the executive department. The head of the office shall be the state inspector general who shall be appointed by the governor.
2. The state inspector general shall hold office until the end of the term of the governor by whom he or she was appointed and until his or her successor is appointed and has qualified.
3. The state inspector general shall report to the secretary to the governor.
4. The state inspector general may appoint one or more deputy inspectors general to serve at his or her pleasure, who shall be responsible for conducting investigations in the agencies to which they are designated and in which they are deemed employed.
5. The salary of the inspector general shall be established by the governor within the limit of funds available therefore; provided, however, such salary shall be no less than the salaries of certain state officers holding the positions indicated in paragraph (a) of subdivision one of section one hundred sixty-nine of the executive law.
Last modified: February 3, 2019