962. Definitions. As used in this article, the following terms shall mean and include:
1. "Council" shall mean the Long Island South Shore Estuary reserve council created by section nine hundred sixty-four of this article.
2. "Department" shall mean the secretary of state or his or her designee.
3. "Estuary" shall mean all or part of the mouth of a river or stream or any body of water having an unimpaired natural connection with the open sea and within which sea water is measurably diluted with fresh-water derived from land drainage, including associated aquatic ecosystems and those portions of tributaries draining into the estuary up to the historic height of migration of anadromous fish or the historic head of tidal influence, whichever is higher.
4. "Long Island South Shore Estuary Reserve" or "Reserve" shall mean all the water and underwater lands comprising the South Shore Estuary and the lands which gather and transmit precipitation as either groundwater or run-off into such system and which are designated on a map prepared by a designated planning entity and adopted by the council.
5. "South Shore Estuary" shall mean the Estuary located on the South Shore of Long Island between the western boundary of the Town of Hempstead and the Eastern Boundary of Shinnecock Bay.
6. "Plan" shall mean the comprehensive management plan created pursuant to section nine hundred sixty-six of this article.
Last modified: February 3, 2019