481. Definitions. As used in this article:
1. "Laser" means light amplification by simulated emission of radiation.
2. "Radioactive material" means any material in any form that emits ionizing radiation spontaneously. "Radiation equipment" means any equipment or device which can emit ionizing or non-ionizing radiation.
3. "Crane" includes but is not limited to cranes and equipment of the following types: a mobile, carrier-mounted, power-operated hoisting machine utilizing a power-operated boom which moves laterally by rotation of the machine on the carrier, tower cranes, hydraulic cranes and power-operated derricks; provided, however, that "crane" shall not include public utility company line trucks used by a public utility company in the construction and maintenance of its generation, transmission and distribution facilities.
4. "Blaster" means a person who performs the act of preparation for detonation and the detonation of an explosive.
5. "Pyrotechnician" means a person who performs the preparation for and the firing of pyrotechnics, as defined in article sixteen of the labor law.
6. "Commissioner" means the commissioner of labor of the state of New York, except that any reference to the commissioner with respect to radioactive material, as defined in this article, or radiation equipment, as defined in this article, shall be a reference to the commissioner of health of the state of New York.
Last modified: February 3, 2019