701. Definitions. Whenever used in this article:
1. "Consumer" means a natural person.
2. "Creditor" means a person, partnership, corporation, association or other entity who, in the ordinary course of business, regularly extends consumer credit.
3. "Consumer credit" means credit extended to a consumer, primarily for personal, family or household purposes, pursuant to a plan under which the creditor may permit the consumer to make purchases or obtain loans, from time to time, directly from the creditor or indirectly by use of a credit card, check or other device, as the plan may provide.
4. "Billing error" means the initial occurrence of an error by omission or commission by the creditor in a billing statement given to the consumer by the creditor in (a) posting any debit or credit or (b) the computation of any amount or (c) any similar error of an accounting nature or (d) posting any debit for goods which were not received by the consumer as required by the provisions of subdivision fourteen of section four hundred thirteen of the personal property law.
Last modified: February 3, 2019