710. Definitions. Whenever used in this article:
1. "Consumer" means a natural person.
2. "Creditor" means a person, partnership, corporation, association or other entity who, in the ordinary course of business, regularly extends consumer credit. The term creditor includes any agent of a creditor for collection, processing or other purposes.
3. "Consumer credit" means credit extended to a consumer on an account pursuant to a plan under which the creditor may permit the customer to make purchases or obtain loans, from time to time, directly from the creditor or indirectly by use of a credit card, check, or other device, as the plan may provide. The term does not include negotiated advances under an open end real estate mortgage or a letter of credit.
4. "Credit balance" means any money or credit owed to, or held for the benefit of, a consumer by a creditor on a consumer credit account, whether resulting from an overpayment or return of merchandise by the consumer, or otherwise.
Last modified: February 3, 2019