10. Definitions. As used in this article:
1. The term "state agency" shall mean any state office, department, division, board, bureau, commission or corporation, provided, however, it shall not include the New York state legislature or any of its standing, special, select and joint committees, subcommittees and legislative commissions.
2. The term "corporation" shall mean every public authority and public benefit corporation a majority of the governing board members of which are either appointed by the governor or serve as members by virtue of their service as an officer of a state department, division, agency, board or bureau, or combination thereof.
3. The term "public document" shall mean any final annual, biennial, regular, statutorily mandated or other report, study or multi-year plan issued by a state agency in multiple copies, which has been distributed to the public, except items issued strictly for administrative or operational purposes, inter-agency and intra-agency memoranda, drafts of reports, public service announcements, written opinions rendered in cases determined in the court of appeals, appellate divisions of the supreme court or any other court of record and any public documents or portions thereof that are compiled for law enforcement purposes and which, if disclosed, would interfere with law enforcement investigations or judicial proceedings, deprive a person of the right to a fair trial or impartial adjudication, identify a confidential source or disclose confidential information relating to a criminal investigation or reveal criminal investigative techniques or procedures, other than routine techniques and procedures. Under no circumstances shall a document that is required by law to remain confidential be deemed a public document.
4. The term "core documents" shall mean those public documents for which library users have the most significant and frequent need.
Last modified: February 3, 2019