3302. Definitions of terms of general use in this article. Except where different meanings are expressly specified in subsequent provisions of this article, the following terms have the following meanings:
1. "Addict" means a person who habitually uses a controlled substance for a non-legitimate or unlawful use, and who by reason of such use is dependent thereon.
2. "Administer" means the direct application of a controlled substance, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means, to the body of a patient or research subject.
3. "Agent" means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser. No person may be authorized to so act if under title VIII of the education law such person would not be permitted to engage in such conduct. It does not include a common or contract carrier, public warehouseman, or employee of the carrier or warehouseman when acting in the usual and lawful course of the carrier's or warehouseman's business.
4. "Concentrated Cannabis" means
(a) the separated resin, whether crude or purified, obtained from a plant of the genus Cannabis; or
(b) a material, preparation, mixture, compound or other substance which contains more than two and one-half percent by weight of delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or its isomer, delta-8 dibenzopyran numbering system, or delta-1 tetrahydrocannabinol or its isomer, delta 1 (6) monoterpene numbering system.
5. "Controlled substance" means a substance or substances listed in section thirty-three hundred six of this chapter.
6. "Commissioner" means commissioner of health of the state of New York.
7. "Deliver" or "delivery" means the actual, constructive or attempted transfer from one person to another of a controlled substance, whether or not there is an agency relationship.
8. "Department" means the department of health of the state of New York.
9. "Dispense" means to deliver a controlled substance to an ultimate user or research subject by lawful means, including by means of the internet, and includes the packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for such delivery.
10. "Distribute" means to deliver a controlled substance, including by means of the internet, other than by administering or dispensing.
11. "Distributor" means a person who distributes a controlled substance.
12. "Diversion" means manufacture, possession, delivery or use of a controlled substance by a person or in a manner not specifically authorized by law.
13. "Drug" means
(a) substances recognized as drugs in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, or official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of them;
(b) substances intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or animals; and
(c) substances (other than food) intended to affect the structure or a function of the body of man or animal. It does not include devices or their components, parts, or accessories.
14. "Federal agency" means the Drug Enforcement Administration, United States Department of Justice, or its successor agency.
15. "Federal controlled substances act" means the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970, Public Law 91-513, and any act or acts amendatory or supplemental thereto or regulations promulgated thereunder.
16. "Federal registration number" means such number assigned by the Federal agency to any person authorized to manufacture, distribute, sell, dispense or administer controlled substances.
17. "Habitual user" means any person who is, or by reason of repeated use of any controlled substance for non-legitimate or unlawful use is in danger of becoming, dependent upon such substance.
18. "Institutional dispenser" means a hospital, veterinary hospital, clinic, dispensary, maternity home, nursing home, mental hospital or similar facility approved and certified by the department as authorized to obtain controlled substances by distribution and to dispense and administer such substances pursuant to the order of a practitioner.
19. "License" means a written authorization issued by the department or the New York state department of education permitting persons to engage in a specified activity with respect to controlled substances.
20. "Manufacture" means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, cultivation, conversion or processing of a controlled substance, either directly or indirectly or by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging or repackaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation, compounding, packaging or labeling of a controlled substance:
(a) by a practitioner as an incident to his administering or dispensing of a controlled substance in the course of his professional practice; or
(b) by a practitioner, or by his authorized agent under his supervision, for the purpose of, or as an incident to, research, teaching, or chemical analysis and not for sale; or
(c) by a pharmacist as an incident to his dispensing of a controlled substance in the course of his professional practice.
21. "Marihuana" means all parts of the plant of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
22. "Narcotic drug" means any of the following, whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
(a) opium and opiate, and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium or opiate;
(b) any salt, compound, isomer, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to in subdivision (a), but not including the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium;
(c) opium poppy and poppy straw.
23. "Opiate" means any substance having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. It does not include, unless specifically designated as controlled under section 3306 of this article, the dextrorotatory isomer of 3-methoxy-n-methylmorphinan and its salts (dextromethorphan). It does include its racemic and levorotatory forms.
24. "Opium poppy" means the plant of the species Papaver somniferum L., except its seeds.
25. "Person" means individual, institution, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity.
26. "Pharmacist" means any person licensed by the state department of education to practice pharmacy.
27. "Pharmacy" means any place registered as such by the New York state board of pharmacy and registered with the Federal agency pursuant to the federal controlled substances act.
28. "Poppy straw" means all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy, after mowing.
29. "Practitioner" means:
A physician, dentist, podiatrist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, or other person licensed, or otherwise permitted to dispense, administer or conduct research with respect to a controlled substance in the course of a licensed professional practice or research licensed pursuant to this article. Such person shall be deemed a "practitioner" only as to such substances, or conduct relating to such substances, as is permitted by his license, permit or otherwise permitted by law.
30. "Prescribe" means a direction or authorization, by prescription, permitting an ultimate user lawfully to obtain controlled substances from any person authorized by law to dispense such substances.
31. "Prescription" shall mean an official New York state prescription, an electronic prescription, an oral prescription, an out-of-state prescription, or any one.
32. "Sell" means to sell, exchange, give or dispose of to another, or offer or agree to do the same.
33. "Ultimate user" means a person who lawfully obtains and possesses a controlled substance for his own use or the use by a member of his household or for an animal owned by him or in his custody. It shall also mean and include a person designated, by a practitioner on a prescription, to obtain such substance on behalf of the patient for whom such substance is intended.
34. "Internet" means collectively computer and telecommunications facilities which comprise the worldwide network of networks that employ a set of industry standards and protocols, or any predecessor or successor protocol to such protocol, to exchange information of all kinds. "Internet," as used in this article, also includes other networks, whether private or public, used to transmit information by electronic means.
35. "By means of the internet" means any sale, delivery, distribution, or dispensing of a controlled substance that uses the internet, is initiated by use of the internet or causes the internet to be used.
36. "Online dispenser" means a practitioner, pharmacy, or person in the United States that sells, delivers or dispenses, or offers to sell, deliver, or dispense, a controlled substance by means of the internet.
37. "Electronic prescription" means a prescription issued with an electronic signature and transmitted by electronic means in accordance with regulations of the commissioner and the commissioner of education and consistent with federal requirements. A prescription generated on an electronic system that is printed out or transmitted via facsimile is not considered an electronic prescription and must be manually signed.
38. "Electronic" means of or relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic or similar capabilities. "Electronic" shall not include facsimile.
39. "Electronic record" means a paperless record that is created, generated, transmitted, communicated, received or stored by means of electronic equipment and includes the preservation, retrieval, use and disposition in accordance with regulations of the commissioner and the commissioner of education and in compliance with federal law and regulations.
40. "Electronic signature" means an electronic sound, symbol, or process, attached to or logically associated with an electronic record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record, in accordance with regulations of the commissioner and the commissioner of education.
41. "Registry" or "prescription monitoring program registry" means the prescription monitoring program registry established pursuant to section thirty-three hundred forty-three-a of this article.
42. "Compounding" means the combining, admixing, mixing, diluting, pooling, reconstituting, or otherwise altering of a drug or bulk drug substance to create a drug with respect to an outsourcing facility under section 503B of the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and further defined in this section.
43. "Outsourcing facility" means a facility that:
(a) is engaged in the compounding of sterile drugs as defined in section sixty-eight hundred two of the education law;
(b) is currently registered as an outsourcing facility pursuant to article one hundred thirty-seven of the education law; and
(c) complies with all applicable requirements of federal and state law, including the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, when an outsourcing facility distributes or dispenses any drug to any person pursuant to a prescription, such outsourcing facility shall be deemed to be providing pharmacy services and shall be subject to all laws, rules and regulations governing pharmacies and pharmacy services.
Last modified: February 3, 2019