(a) The Council may conduct a referendum among horse owners upon the question of whether an assessment shall be levied consistent with this Article.
(b) The Council shall determine all of the following:
(1) The amount of the proposed assessment, not to exceed two dollars ($2.00) per ton of commercial horse feed.
(2) The period for which the assessment shall be levied, not to exceed three years.
(3) The time and place of the referendum.
(4) Procedures for conducting the referendum and counting votes.
(5) Any other matters pertaining to the referendum.
(c) The amount of the proposed assessment and the method of collection shall be set forth on the ballot.
(d) All horse owners are eligible to vote in the referendum. The Council shall send press releases about the referendum to at least 10 daily and 10 weekly or biweekly newspapers having general circulation in a county in the State, and to any trade journals deemed appropriate by the Council. Notice of the referendum also shall be posted in every place the Council identifies as selling commercial horse feed. Any questions concerning eligibility to vote shall be resolved by the board of directors of the Council. (1998-154, s. 1.)
Sections: Previous 106-812 106-813 106-814 106-815 106-820 106-821 106-822 106-823 106-824 106-825 106-830 through 106-833 106-830 through 106-833 106-830 through 106-833 106-830 through 106-833 106-840 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014