As used in this Article, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Articles of dedication" means the writing by which any estate, interest, or right in a natural area is formally dedicated as a nature preserve as authorized in G.S. 113A-164.6.
(2) "Dedicate" means to transfer to the State an estate, interest, or right in a natural area in any manner authorized in G.S. 113A-164.6.
(3) "Natural area" means an area of land, water, or both land and water, whether publicly or privately owned, that (i) retains or has reestablished its natural character, (ii) provides habitat for rare or endangered species of plants or animals, (iii) or has biotic, geological, scenic, or paleontological features of scientific or educational value.
(4) "Nature preserve" means a natural area that has been dedicated pursuant to G.S. 113A-164.6.
(5) "Owner" means any individual, corporation, partnership, trust, or association, and all governmental units except the State, its departments, agencies or institutions.
(6) "Registration" means an agreement between the Secretary and the owner of a natural area to protect and manage the natural area for its specified natural heritage resource values.
(7) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources. (1985, c. 216, s. 1; 1989, c. 727, s. 218(68); 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1004, s. 19(b); 1997-443, s. 11A.119(a).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014