(a) There is created the Commission on School Technology. The Commission shall be located administratively in the Department of Public Instruction.
The purpose of the Commission shall be to advise the State Board of Education on the development of a State School Technology Plan that (i) ensures the effective use of technology is built into the North Carolina Public School System for the purpose of preparing a globally competitive workforce and citizenry for the 21st century and (ii) ensures equity and access to school technology for all segments of the public school population in North Carolina.
The Commission shall meet at least twice each fiscal year and shall provide input and feedback on the State School Technology Plan prior to approval.
(b) The Commission shall consist of the following members:
(1) The State Superintendent of Public Instruction or a designee;
(2) One representative of The University of North Carolina, appointed by the President of The University of North Carolina;
(3) One representative of the North Carolina Community College System, appointed by the President of the North Carolina Community College System;
(4) Repealed by Session Laws 2009-451, s. 7.31, effective July 1, 2009.
(5) Two members appointed by the Governor;
(6) Two members appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate;
(7) Two members appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives; and
(8) Repealed by Session Laws 2009-451, s. 7.31, effective July 1, 2009.
(9) The State Chief Information Officer, or a designee.
In appointing members pursuant to subdivisions (5), (6), and (7) of this subsection, the appointing persons shall select individuals with technical or applied knowledge or experience in learning and instructional management technologies or individuals with expertise in curriculum or instruction who have successfully used learning and instructional management technologies.
No producers, vendors, or consultants to producers or vendors of learning or instructional management technologies shall serve on the Commission.
Members shall serve for two-year terms. Vacancies in terms of members shall be filled by the appointing officer. Persons appointed to fill vacancies shall qualify in the same manner as persons appointed for full terms.
(c) Repealed by Session Laws 1997-443, s. 8.26(a).
(d) Members of the Commission who are also members of the General Assembly shall be paid subsistence and travel expenses at the rate set forth in G.S. 120-3.1. Members of the Commission who are officials or employees of the State shall receive travel allowances at the rate set forth in G.S. 138-6. All other members of the Commission shall be paid the per diem and allowances set forth in G.S. 138-5.
(d1) The Chair of the State Board of Education shall select the Commission member or members who shall serve as chair or cochairs of the Commission.
(e) The Department of Public Instruction shall provide requested professional and clerical staff to the Commission. (1993, c. 321, s. 135(a); c. 522, s. 20; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 591, s. 11(a); 1997-148, s. 7; 1997-443, s. 8.26(a); 1998-131, s. 7; 1998-220, s. 1; 2004-199, s. 4; 2009-451, s. 7.31.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014