(a) Before establishing any alternative learning program or alternative school, the local board of education shall develop a proposal to implement the program or school that includes all of the following:
(1) The educational and behavioral goals for students assigned to the program or school.
(2) The policies and procedures for the operation of the program or school based on the State Board's standards adopted under G.S. 115C-12(24). The policies and procedures shall address the assignment of students to the program or school.
(3) Identified strategies that will be used to improve student achievement and behavior.
(4) Documentation that similar programs and schools in or out of the State, or both, have demonstrated success in improving the academic achievement and behavior of students assigned to them.
(5) The estimated actual cost of operating the program or school. To the extent practicable, this shall include the cost of:
a. Staffing the program or school with teachers who have at least four years' teaching experience and who have received an overall rating of at least above standard on a formal evaluation and are certified in the areas and grade levels being taught;
b. Providing optimum learning environments, resources and materials, and high quality, ongoing professional development that will ensure students who are placed in the program or school are provided enhanced educational opportunities in order to achieve their full potential;
c. Providing support personnel, including school counselors, psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, social workers, nurses, and other professionals to help students and their families work out complex issues and problems;
d. Maintaining safe and orderly learning environments; and
e. Providing transitional supports for students exiting the program or school and reentering the referring school.
(6) Documented support of school personnel and the community for the implementation of the program or school.
(b) After the local board completes the proposal under subsection (a) of this section, the board shall submit the proposal to the State Board of Education for its review. The State Board shall review the proposal expeditiously and, if appropriate, may offer recommendations to modify the proposal. The local board shall consider any recommendations made by the State Board before implementing the alternative learning program or alternative school. (2005-446, s. 2.)
Sections: Previous 115C-105.38 115C-105.38A 115C-105.39 115C-105.40 115C-105.41 115C-105.45 115C-105.46 115C-105.47A 115C-105.48 115C-105.49 115C-105.51 115C-105.52 115C-106.1 115C-106.2 115C-106.3 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014