As used in this Part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Day" means calendar day. In computing any period of time, Rule 6 of the North Carolina Rules of Civil Procedure shall apply.
(2) "Demote" means to reduce the salary of a person who is classified or paid by the State Board of Education as a classroom teacher or as a school administrator during the time of the contract. The word "demote" does not include (i) a suspension without pay pursuant to G.S. 115C-325.5(a); (ii) the elimination or reduction of bonus payments, including merit-based supplements or a systemwide modification in the amount of any applicable local supplement; (iii) any reduction in salary that results from the elimination of a special duty, such as the duty of an athletic coach or a choral director; or (iv) any reduction of pay as compared to a prior term of contract.
(3) "Disciplinary suspension" means a final decision to suspend a teacher or school administrator without pay for no more than 60 days under G.S. 115C-325.5(b).
(4) "Residential school" means a school operated by the Department of Health and Human Services that provides residential services to students pursuant to Part 3A of Article 3 of Chapter 143B of the General Statutes or a school operated pursuant to Article 9C of Chapter 115C of the General Statutes.
(5) "School administrator" means a principal, assistant principal, supervisor, or director whose major function includes the direct or indirect supervision of teaching or any other part of the instructional program, as provided in G.S. 115C-287.1(a)(3).
(6) "Teacher" means a person meeting each of the following requirements:
a. Who holds at least one of the following licenses issued by the State Board of Education:
1. A current standard professional educator's license.
2. A current lateral entry teaching license.
3. A regular, not expired, vocational license.
b. Whose major responsibility is to teach or directly supervise teaching or who is classified by the State Board of Education or is paid either as a classroom teacher or instructional support personnel.
c. Who is employed to fill a full-time, permanent position.
(7) "Year" means a calendar year beginning July 1 and ending June 30. (2013-360, s. 9.6(b).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014