(a) As used in this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Education employee association" includes teacher associations, teacher organizations, and classified education employees' associations.
(2) "School" means a charter school or a school operated by a local school administrative unit, the State Board of Education, or a State agency.
(b) It is the intent of the General Assembly that all education employee associations have equal access to employees at schools and that schools not favor nor endorse an education employee association; therefore, neither a local school administrative unit nor a school shall do any of the following:
(1) Grant access to employees' physical or electronic mailboxes to an education employee association unless it gives such access to all education employee associations operating in the local school administrative unit.
(2) Permit an education employee association to attend new teacher or employee orientations to recruit members unless it permits all education employee associations operating in the local school administrative unit to attend.
(3) Give an education employee association preferential treatment through procedures, policies, or any other means. This subdivision does not authorize any payroll deduction for any association unless authorized by law for that association.
(4) Endorse one education employee association over another.
(5) Refer to days or breaks in a school calendar by the name of an employee education association.
(c) A school shall not discourage or prohibit an employee from joining an organization or showing preferences toward any educational association. (2012-179, s. 1(b).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014