The words and phrases defined in this section have the meanings indicated when used in this Article, unless the context clearly requires another meaning:
(1) "Budget" is a plan proposed by a board of education for raising and spending money for specified school programs, functions, activities, or objectives during a fiscal year.
(2) "Budget resolution" is a resolution adopted by a board of education that appropriates revenues for specified school programs, functions, activities, or objectives during a fiscal year.
(3) "Budget year" is the fiscal year for which a budget is proposed and a budget resolution is adopted.
(4) "Fiscal year" is the annual period for the compilation of fiscal operations. The fiscal year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30.
(5) "Fund" is an independent fiscal and accounting entity consisting of cash and other resources together with all related liabilities, obligations, reserves, and equities which are segregated by appropriate accounting techniques for the purpose of carrying on specific activities or attaining certain objectives in accordance with established legal regulations, restrictions or limitations.
(6) "Vending facilities" has the same meaning as it does in G.S. 111-42(d), but also means any mechanical or electronic device dispensing items or something of value or entertainment or services for a fee, regardless of the method of activation, and regardless of the means of payment, whether by coin, currency, tokens, or other means. (1975, c. 437, s. 1; 1981, c. 423, s. 1; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1034, s. 167; 2006-203, s. 34.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014