The State Human Resources Commission shall adopt rules or policies to:
(1) Assure recruitment, selection, and hiring procedures that encourage open and fair competition for positions in State government employment and that encourage the hiring of a diverse State government workforce.
(2) Assure the proper and thorough advertisement of job openings in State government employment and lengthen, as appropriate, the period for submitting applications for State government employment.
(3) Require that a closing date shall be posted for each job opening, unless an exception for critical classifications has been approved by the State Human Resources Commission.
(4) Require that timely written notice shall be provided to each unsuccessful applicant for State employment who is in the pool of the most qualified applicants for a position, as defined by G.S. 126-14.2(b).
(5) Assure that State departments, agencies, and institutions follow similar selection processes when hiring State employees in accordance with this Chapter.
(6) Assure that State supervisory and management personnel, and personnel professionals, receive adequate training and continuing education to carry out the State's policy of hiring from among the most qualified persons.
(7) Establish a monitoring system to measure the effectiveness of State agency personnel procedures to promote fairness and reduce adverse impact on all demographic groups in the State government workforce.
(8) Otherwise implement the State's policy of nonpolitical hiring practices in accordance with this Chapter. (1997-520, s. 1; 2013-382, s. 9.1(c).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014