(a) There is hereby established the Office of State Human Resources (hereinafter referred to as "the Office") which shall be placed for organizational purposes within the Office of the Governor. Notwithstanding the provisions of North Carolina State government reorganization as of January 1, 1975, and specifically notwithstanding the provisions of Chapter 864 of the 1971 North Carolina Session Laws, Chapter 143A of the General Statutes, the Office of State Human Resources shall exercise all of its statutory powers in this Chapter, which shall be under the administration and supervision of a Director of the Office of State Human Resources (hereinafter referred to as "the Director") appointed by the Governor and subject to the supervision of the Commission for purposes of this Chapter. The salary of the Director shall be fixed by the Governor. The Director shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
(b) The Office shall be responsible for the following activities, and such other activities as specified in this Chapter:
(1) Providing policy and rule development for the Commission and implementing and administering all policies, rules, and procedures established by the Commission.
(2) Providing training in personnel management to agencies, departments, and institutions including train-the-trainer programs for those agencies, departments, and institutions who request such training and where sufficient staff and expertise exist to provide the training within their respective agencies, departments, and institutions.
(3) Providing technical assistance in the management of personnel programs and activities to agencies, departments, and institutions.
(4) Negotiating decentralization agreements with all agencies, departments, and institutions where it is cost-effective to include delegation of authority for certain classification and corresponding salary administration actions and other personnel programs to be specified in the agreements.
(5) Administering such centralized programs and providing services as approved by the Commission which have not been transferred to agencies, departments, and institutions or where this authority has been rescinded for noncompliance.
(6) Providing approval authority of personnel actions involving classification and compensation where such approval authority has not been transferred by the Commission to agencies, departments, and institutions or where such authority has been rescinded for noncompliance.
(7) Maintaining a computer database of all relevant and necessary information on employees and positions within agencies, departments, and institutions in the State's personnel system.
(8) Developing criteria and standards to measure the level of compliance or noncompliance with established Commission policies, rules, procedures, criteria, and standards in agencies, departments, and institutions to which authority has been delegated for classification, salary administration, performance management, development, evaluation, and other decentralized programs, and determining through routine monitoring and periodic review process, that agencies, departments, and institutions are in compliance or noncompliance with established Commission policies, rules, procedures, criteria, and standards.
(9) Implementing corrective actions in cases of noncompliance.
(10) Administering the State employee suggestion program (NC-Thinks). (1965, c. 640, s. 2; 1975, c. 667, s. 5; 1983, c. 717, s. 40; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1034, s. 164; 1997-349, s. 2; 2011-224, s. 5; 2012-142, s. 25.1(c); 2012-194, s. 25; 2013-382, ss. 1.1, 1.2, 9.1(c).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014