As used in this Article:
(1) "Erect" means to construct, build, raise, assemble, place, affix, attach, create, paint, draw, or in any other way bring into being or establish.
(1a) "Illegal sign" means one which was erected and/or maintained in violation of State law.
(1b) "Information center" means an area or site established and maintained at safety rest areas for the purpose of informing the public of places of interest within the State and providing such other information as the Department of Transportation may consider desirable.
(2) "Interstate system" means that portion of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways located within the State, as officially designated, or as may hereafter be so designated, by the Department of Transportation, or other appropriate authorities and are also so designated by interstate numbers. As to highways under construction so designated as interstate highways pursuant to the above procedures, the highway shall be a part of the interstate system for the purposes of this Article on the date the location of the highway has been approved finally by the appropriate federal authorities.
(2a) "Nonconforming sign" shall mean a sign which was lawfully erected but which does not comply with the provisions of State law or State rules and regulations passed at a later date or which later fails to comply with State law or State rules or regulations due to changed conditions. Illegally erected or maintained signs are not nonconforming signs.
(3) "Outdoor advertising" means any outdoor sign, display, light, device, figure, painting, drawing, message, plaque, poster, billboard, or any other thing which is designed, intended or used to advertise or inform, any part of the advertising or information contents of which is visible from any place on the main-traveled way of the interstate or primary system, whether the same be permanent or portable installation.
(4) "Primary systems" means the federal-aid primary system in existence on June 1, 1991, and any highway which is not on that system but which is on the National Highway System. As to highways under construction so designated as primary highways pursuant to the above procedures, the highway shall be a part of the primary system for purposes of this Article on the date the location of the highway has been approved finally by the appropriate federal or State authorities.
(5) "Safety rest area" means an area or site established and maintained within or adjacent to the highway right-of-way by or under public supervision or control, for the convenience of the traveling public.
(6) "State law" means a State constitutional provision or statute, or an ordinance, rule or regulation enacted or adopted by a State agency or political subdivision of a State pursuant to a State Constitution or statute.
(7) "Unzoned area" shall mean an area where there is no zoning in effect.
(8) "Urban area" shall mean an area within the boundaries or limits of any incorporated municipality having a population of five thousand or more as determined by the latest available federal census.
(9) "Visible" means capable of being seen (whether or not legible) without visual aid by a person of normal visual acuity. (1967, c. 1248, s. 3; 1973, c. 507, s. 5; 1975, c. 568, ss. 1-4; 1977, c. 464, s. 7.1; 1997-456, s. 27; 1999-404, s. 7; 2000-101, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014