(a) Bill. - If a motor vehicle travels on a Turnpike project that uses an open road tolling system and a toll for traveling on the project is not paid prior to travel or at the time of travel, the Authority must send a bill by first-class mail to the registered owner of the motor vehicle or the person who had care, custody, and control of the vehicle as established under G.S. 136-89.212(b) for the amount of the unpaid toll. The Authority must send the bill within 90 days after the travel occurs, or within 90 days of receipt of a sworn affidavit submitted under G.S. 136-89.212(b) identifying the person who had care, custody, and control of the motor vehicle. If a bill is not sent within the required time, the Authority waives collection of the toll. The Authority must establish a billing period for unpaid open road tolls that is no shorter than 15 days. A bill for a billing period must include all unpaid tolls incurred by the same person during the billing period.
(b) Information on Bill. - A bill sent under this section must include all of the following information:
(1) The name and address of the registered owner of the motor vehicle that traveled on the Turnpike project or of the person identified under G.S. 136-89.212(b).
(2) The date the travel occurred, the approximate time the travel occurred, and each segment of the Turnpike project on which the travel occurred.
(3) An image of the registration plate of the motor vehicle, if the Authority captured an electronic image of the motor vehicle when it traveled on the Turnpike project.
(4) The amount of the toll due and an explanation of how payment may be made.
(5) The date by which the toll must be paid to avoid the imposition of a processing fee under G.S. 136-89.215 and the amount of the processing fee.
(6) A statement that a vehicle owner who has unpaid tolls is subject to a civil penalty and may not renew the vehicle's registration until the tolls and civil penalties are paid.
(7) A clear and concise explanation of how to contest liability for the toll.
(8) If applicable, a copy of the affidavit submitted under G.S. 136-89.212(b) identifying the person with care, custody, and control of the motor vehicle. (2008-225, s. 2; 2010-133, s. 3; 2013-183, s. 5.6.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014