The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Caller identification record. - A record collected and retained by or on behalf of a customer utilizing caller identification or similar technology that is delivered electronically to the recipient of a telephone call simultaneously with the reception of the telephone call and that indicates the telephone number from which the telephone call was initiated or similar information regarding the telephone call.
(2) Customer. - A person or the legal guardian of a person or a representative of a business to whom a telephone service provider provides telephone service to a number subscribed or listed in the name of the person or business.
(3) Person. - An individual, business association, partnership, limited partnership, corporation, limited liability company, or other legal entity.
(4) Telephone record. - A record in written, electronic, or oral form, except a caller identification record, Directory Assistance information, and subscriber list information, that is created by a telephone service provider and that contains any of the following information with respect to a customer:
a. Telephone numbers that have been dialed by the customer.
b. Telephone numbers that pertain to calls made to the customer.
c. The time when calls were made by the customer or to the customer.
d. The duration of calls made by the customer or to the customer.
e. The charges applied to calls, if any.
(5) Telephone service. - The conveyance of two-way communication in analog, digital, or other form by any medium, including wire, cable, fiber optics, cellular, broadband personal communications services, or other wireless technologies, satellite, microwave, or at any frequency over any part of the electromagnetic spectrum. The term also includes the conveyance of voice communication over the Internet and telephone relay service.
(6) Telephone service provider. - A person who provides telephone service to a customer without regard to the form of technology used, including traditional wire-line or cable communications service; cellular, broadband PCS, or other wireless communications service; microwave, satellite, or other terrestrial communications service; or voice over Internet communications service. (2007-374, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014