(a) The purpose of this Part is to establish a framework whereby the General Assembly, upon consultation with the Governor, may support through financial and other means, the North Carolina Partnership for Children, Inc. and comparable local partnerships, which have as their missions the development of a comprehensive, long-range strategic plan for early childhood development and the provision, through public and private means, of high-quality early childhood education and development services for children and families. It is the intent of the General Assembly that communities be given the maximum flexibility and discretion practicable in developing their plans while remaining subject to the approval of the North Carolina Partnership and accountable to the North Carolina Partnership and to the General Assembly for their plans and for the programmatic and fiscal integrity of the programs and services provided to implement them.
(b) The following definitions apply in this Part:
(1) Board of Directors. - The Board of Directors of the North Carolina Partnership for Children, Inc.
(2) Department. - The Department of Health and Human Services.
(2a) Early Childhood. - Birth through five years of age.
(3) Local Partnership. - A county or regional private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization established to coordinate a local demonstration project, to provide ongoing analyses of their local needs that must be met to ensure that the developmental needs of children are met in order to prepare them to begin school healthy and ready to succeed, and, in consultation with the North Carolina Partnership and subject to the approval of the North Carolina Partnership, to provide programs and services to meet these needs under this Part, while remaining accountable for the programmatic and fiscal integrity of their programs and services to the North Carolina Partnership.
(4) North Carolina Partnership. - The North Carolina Partnership for Children, Inc.
(5) Secretary. - The Secretary of Health and Human Services. (1993, c. 321, s. 254(a); 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 766, s. 1; 1997-443, s. 11A.118(a); 1998-212, s. 12.37B(a).)
Sections: Previous 143B-167 143B-168 143B-168.3 143B-168.4 143B-168.5 143B-168.10 143B-168.10A 143B-168.11 143B-168.12 143B-168.13 143B-168.14 143B-168.15 143B-168.16 143B-176.1 through 143B-176.2 143B-177 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014