(a) The office of Internal Auditor is established in the Department of Health and Human Services. The office of the Internal Auditor shall provide independent reviews and analyses of various functions and programs within the Department that will provide management information to promote accountability, integrity, and efficiency within the Department.
(b) It shall be the duty and responsibility of the Internal Auditor to:
(1) Advise in the development of performance measure, standards, and procedures for the evaluation of the Department;
(2) Assess the reliability and validity of performance measures and the information provided by the Department on performance measures and standards and make recommendations for improvement, if necessary;
(3) Review the actions taken by the Department of Health and Human Services to improve program performance and meet program standards and make recommendations for improvement, if necessary;
(4) Provide direction for, supervise, and coordinate audits, investigations, and management reviews relating to programs and operations of the Department;
(5) Conduct independent analysis of programs carried out or financed by the Department of Health and Human Services for the purpose of promoting economy and efficiency in the administration of, or preventing and detecting waste, management, misconduct, fraud and abuse in its programs and operations;
(6) Keep the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services informed concerning fraud, abuses, and deficiencies relating to programs and operations administered or financed by the Department of Health and Human Services, recommend corrective action concerning fraud, abuses, and deficiencies, and report on the progress made in implementing corrective action;
(7) Ensure effective coordination and cooperation between the State Auditor, federal auditors, and other governmental bodies with a view toward avoiding duplication; and
(8) Ensure that an appropriate balance is maintained between audit, investigative, and other accountability activities.
(c) The Internal Auditor shall be appointed by the Secretary. The Internal Auditor shall be appointed without regard to political affiliation.
(d) The Internal Auditor shall report to an official designated by the Secretary.
(e) The Internal Auditor shall have access to any records, data, or other information of the Department the Internal Auditor believes necessary to carry out the Internal Auditor's duties. (1997-443, s. 12.21(c).)
Sections: Previous 143B-216.22 143B-216.23 143B-216.30 143B-216.31 143B-216.32 143B-216.33 143B-216.34 143B-216.50 143B-216.51 143B-216.60 143B-216.65 143B-216.66 143B-216.70 143B-216.72A 143B-216.72B Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014