(a) The Department of Environment and Natural Resources shall coordinate an intradepartmental effort to develop scientific protocols to respond to significant fish kill events utilizing staff from the Division of Water Resources, Division of Marine Fisheries, Department of Health and Human Services, Wildlife Resources Commission, the scientific community, and other agencies, as necessary. In developing these protocols, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources shall address the unpredictable nature of fish kills caused by both natural and man-made factors. The protocols shall contain written procedures to respond to significant fish kill events including:
(1) Developing a plan of action to evaluate the impact of fish kills on public health and the environment.
(2) Responding to fish kills within 24 hours.
(3) Investigating and collecting data relating to fish kill events.
(4) Summarizing and distributing fish kill information to participating agencies, scientists and other interested parties.
(b) The Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources shall take all necessary and appropriate steps to effectively carry out the purposes of this Part including:
(1) Providing adequate training for fish kill investigators.
(2) Taking immediate action to protect public health and the environment.
(3) Cooperating with agencies, scientists, and other interested parties, to help determine the cause of the fish kill.
(c) The Department of Environment and Natural Resources shall report annually to the Environmental Review Commission no later than December 1 of each year. This report shall include a summary of all fish kill activity within the last year, an overview of any trend analyses, a discussion of any new or modified methodologies or reporting protocols, and any other relevant information. (1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 633, s. 4; 1997-443, s. 11A.108A; 2001-452, s. 2.8; 2001-474, ss. 30, 31; 2013-413, s. 57(p).)
Sections: Previous 143B-220 143B-252 through 143B-253 143B-279.1 143B-279.2 143B-279.3 143B-279.4 143B-279.5 143B-279.7 143B-279.8 143B-279.9 143B-279.10 143B-279.11 143B-279.12 143B-279.13 143B-279.14 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014