The purposes of the Commission shall be as follows:
(1) To deal fairly and effectively with Indian affairs.
(2) To bring local, State, and federal resources into focus for the implementation or continuation of meaningful programs for Indian citizens of the State of North Carolina.
(3) To provide aid and protection for Indians as needs are demonstrated; to prevent undue hardships.
(4) To hold land in trust for the benefit of State-recognized Indian tribes. This subdivision shall not apply to federally recognized Indian tribes.
(5) To assist Indian communities in social and economic development.
(6) To promote recognition of and the right of Indians to pursue cultural and religious traditions considered by them to be sacred and meaningful to Native Americans. (1977, c. 849, s. 1; 1977, 2nd Sess., c. 1189; 2001-344, s. 1; 2006-264, s. 15.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014