In order to enable it to carry out the purposes of this Part, the Agency:
(1) Has the powers of a body corporate, including the power to sue and be sued, to make contracts, to hold and own copyrights and to adopt and use a common seal and to alter the same as may be deemed expedient;
(2) May make all necessary contracts and arrangements with any parties which will serve the purposes and facilitate the business of the North Carolina Agency for Public Telecommunications; except that, the Agency may not contract or enter into any agreement for the production by the Agency of programs or programming materials with any person, group, or organization other than government agencies; principal State departments; public and noncommercial broadcast licensees;
(3) May rent, lease, buy, own, acquire, mortgage, or otherwise encumber and dispose of such property, real or personal; and construct, maintain, equip and operate any facilities, buildings, studios, equipment, materials, supplies and systems as said Board may deem proper to carry out the purposes and provisions of this Part;
(4) May establish an office for the transaction of its business at such place or places as the Board deems advisable or necessary in carrying out the purposes of this Part;
(5) May apply for and accept loans and grants of money from any federal agency or the State of North Carolina or any political subdivision thereof or from any public or private sources for any and all of the purposes authorized in this Part; may extend or distribute the funds in accordance with directions and requirements attached thereto or imposed thereon by the federal agency, the State of North Carolina or any political subdivision thereof, or any public or private lender or donor; and may give such evidences of indebtedness as shall be required, but no indebtedness of any kind incurred or created by the Agency shall constitute an indebtedness of the State of North Carolina or any political subdivision thereof, and no such indebtedness shall involve or be secured by the faith, credit or taxing power of the State of North Carolina or any political subdivision thereof. At no time may the total outstanding indebtedness of the Agency, excluding bond indebtedness, exceed five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) unless the Agency has consulted with the Director of the Budget;
(6) May pay all necessary costs and expenses involved in and incident to the formation and organization of the Agency and incident to the administration and operation thereof, and may pay all other costs and expenses reasonably necessary or expedient in carrying out and accomplishing the purposes of this Part;
(7) Under such conditions as the Board may deem appropriate to the accomplishment of the purposes of this Part, may distribute in the form of grants, gifts, or loans any of the revenues and earnings received by the Agency from its operations;
(8) May adopt, alter or repeal its own bylaws, rules and regulations governing the manner in which its business may be transacted and in which the power granted to it may be exercised, and may provide for the creation of such divisions and for the appointment of such committees, and the functions thereof, as the Board deems necessary or expedient in facilitating the business and purposes of the Agency;
(9) The Board shall be responsible for all management functions of the Agency. The chairman shall serve as the chief executive officer, and shall have the responsibility of executing the policies of the Board. The Executive Director shall be the chief operating and administrative officer and shall be responsible for carrying out the decisions made by the Board and its chairman. The Executive Director shall be appointed by the Governor upon the recommendation of the Board and shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The salary of the Executive Director shall be fixed by the General Assembly in the Current Operations Appropriations Act. Subject to the provisions of the North Carolina Human Resources Act and with the approval of the Board, the Executive Director may appoint, employ, dismiss and fix the compensation of such professional, administrative, clerical and other employees as the Board deems necessary to carry out the purposes of this Part; but any employee who serves as the director of any division of the Agency which may be established by the Board shall be appointed with the additional approval of the Secretary of Administration. There shall be an executive committee consisting of three of the appointed members and three of the ex officio members elected by the Board and the chairman of the Board, who shall serve as chairman of the executive committee. The executive committee may do all acts which are authorized by the bylaws of the Agency. Members of the executive committee shall serve until their successors are elected;
(10) May do any and all other acts and things in this Part authorized or required to be done, whether or not included in the general powers in this section; and
(11) May do any and all things necessary to accomplish the purposes of this Part.
Nothing herein authorizes the Agency to exercise any control over any public noncommercial broadcast licensee, its staff or facilities or over any community antenna television system (Cable TV; CATV), its staff, employees or facilities operating in North Carolina, or the Police Information Network (PIN), its staff, employees or facilities or the Judicial Department.
The property of the Agency shall not be subject to any taxes or assessments. (1979, c. 900, s. 1; 1983, c. 666; c. 717, s. 82; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1034, s. 164; 1985, c. 122, ss. 3, 4; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 955, ss. 99-101; 2006-203, s. 107; 2013-382, s. 9.1(c).)
Sections: Previous 143B-421 143B-421.1 143B-421.3 143B-422 through 143B-426.1 143B-426.8 143B-426.9 143B-426.10 143B-426.11 143B-426.11A 143B-426.13 143B-426.14 143B-426.15 143B-426.16 143B-426.17 143B-426.18 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014