As used in this Part, the following definitions apply:
(1) Claimant. - An individual on whose behalf a claim is made for compensation as a qualified recipient under this Part. An individual must be alive on June 30, 2013, in order to be a claimant.
(2) Commission. - The North Carolina Industrial Commission.
(3) Involuntarily. - In the case of:
a. A minor child, either with or without the consent of the minor child's parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis.
b. An incompetent adult, with or without the consent of the incompetent adult's guardian or pursuant to a valid court order.
c. A competent adult, without the adult's informed consent, with the presumption being that the adult gave informed consent.
(4) Office. - The Office of Justice for Sterilization Victims.
(5) Qualified recipient. - An individual who was asexualized involuntarily or sterilized involuntarily under the authority of the Eugenics Board of North Carolina in accordance with Chapter 224 of the Public Laws of 1933 or Chapter 221 of the Public Laws of 1937. (2013-360, s. 6.18(a).)
Sections: Previous 143B-426.39 143B-426.39A 143B-426.39B 143B-426.40 143B-426.40A 143B-426.40G 143B-426.40H 143B-426.50 143B-426.51 143B-426.52 143B-426.53 143B-426.54 143B-426.55 143B-426.56 143B-426.57 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014