(a) Agrarian Growth Zone Defined. - An agrarian growth zone is an area that meets all of the following conditions:
(1) It is comprised of one or more contiguous census tracts, census block groups, or both, in the most recent federal decennial census.
(2) All of the area is located in whole within a county that has no municipality with a population in excess of 10,000.
(3) Every census tract and census block group that comprises the area either has more than twenty percent (20%) of its population below the poverty level or is adjacent to another census tract or census block group in the zone that has more than twenty percent (20%) of its population below the poverty level according to the most recent federal decennial census.
(4) The zone as a whole has more than twenty percent (20%) of its population below the poverty level according to the most recent federal decennial census.
(b) Limitation and Designation. - The area of a county that is included in one or more agrarian growth zones shall not exceed five percent (5%) of the total area of the county. Upon application of a county, the Secretary of Commerce shall make a written determination whether an area is an agrarian growth zone that satisfies the conditions of subsection (a) of this section. The application shall include all of the information listed in this subsection. A determination under this section is effective until December 31 of the year following the year in which the determination is made. The Department of Commerce shall publish annually a list of all agrarian growth zones with a description of their boundaries.
(1) A map showing the census tracts and block groups that would comprise the zone.
(2) A detailed description of the boundaries of the area that would comprise the zone.
(3) A certification regarding the size of the proposed zone.
(4) Detailed census information on the county and the proposed zone.
(5) A resolution of the board of county commissioners requesting the designation of the area as an agrarian growth zone.
(6) Any other material required by the Secretary of Commerce.
(c) Parcel of Property Partially in Agrarian Growth Zone. - For the purposes of this section, a parcel of property that is located partially within an agrarian growth zone is considered entirely within the zone if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) At least fifty percent (50%) of the parcel is located within the zone.
(2) The parcel was in existence and under common ownership prior to the most recent federal decennial census.
(3) The parcel is a portion of land made up of one or more tracts or tax parcels of land that is surrounded by a continuous perimeter boundary. (2006-252, s. 1.2; 2007-484, s. 33(a); 2007-515, s. 3; 2010-147, s. 1.2.)
Sections: Previous 143B-437.02 143B-437.03 143B-437.04 143B-437.05 143B-437.07 143B-437.08 143B-437.09 143B-437.010 143B-437.012 143B-437.013 143B-437.020 143B-437.1 143B-437.2 143B-437.3 143B-437.4 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014