The Commission has policy responsibility for providing and coordinating State services to local government with respect to local confinement facilities. The Department shall:
(1) Consult with and provide technical assistance to units of local government with respect to local confinement facilities.
(2) Develop minimum standards for the construction and operation of local confinement facilities.
(3) Visit and inspect local confinement facilities; advise the sheriff, jailer, governing board, and other appropriate officials as to deficiencies and recommend improvements; and submit written reports on the inspections to appropriate local officials.
(4) Review and approve plans for the construction and major modification of local confinement facilities.
(5) Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 745, s. 5, effective September 1, 1983.
(6) Perform any other duties that may be necessary to carry out the State's responsibilities concerning local confinement facilities. (1967, c. 581, s. 2; 1973, c. 476, s. 138; c. 822, s. 1; 1983, c. 745, s. 5.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014