(a) There is created in the Office of State Budget and Management the County Satellite Jail/Work Release Unit Fund to provide State grant funds for counties or groups of counties for construction of satellite jail/work release units for certain misdemeanants who receive active sentences. A county or group of counties may apply to the Office for a grant under this section. The application shall be in a form established by the Office. The Office shall:
(1) Develop application and grant criteria based on the basic requirements listed in this Part,
(2) Provide all Boards of County Commissioners and Sheriffs with the criteria and appropriate application forms, technical assistance, if requested, and a proposed written agreement,
(3) Review all applications,
(4) Select grantees and award grants,
(5) Award no more than seven hundred fifty thousand dollars ($750,000) for any one county or group of counties except that if a group of counties agrees to jointly operate one unit for males and one unit for females, the maximum amount may be awarded for each unit,
(6) Take into consideration the potential number of misdemeanants and the percentage of the county's or counties' misdemeanant population to be diverted from the State prison system,
(7) Take into consideration the utilization of existing buildings suitable for renovation where appropriate,
(8) Take into consideration the timeliness with which a county proposes to complete and occupy the unit,
(9) Take into consideration the appropriateness and cost effectiveness of the proposal,
(10) Take into consideration the plan with which the county intends to coordinate the unit with other community service programs such as intensive supervision, community penalties, and community service.
When considering the items listed in subdivisions (6) through (10), the Office shall determine the appropriate weight to be given each item.
(b) A county or group of counties is eligible for a grant under this section if it agrees to abide by the basic requirements for satellite jail/work release units established in G.S. 153A-230.3. In order to receive a grant under this section, there must be a written agreement to abide by the basic requirements for satellite jail/work release units set forth in G.S. 153A-230.3. The written agreement shall be signed by the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, with approval of the Board of County Commissioners and after consultation with the Sheriff, and a representative of the Office of State Budget and Management. If a group of counties applies for the grant, then the agreement must be signed by the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners of each county. Any variation from, including termination of, the original signed agreement must be approved by both the Office of State Budget and Management and by a vote of the Board of County Commissioners of the county or counties.
When the county or group of counties receives a grant under this section, the county or group of counties accepts ownership of the satellite jail/work release unit and full financial responsibility for maintaining and operating the unit, and for the upkeep of its occupants who comply with the eligibility criteria in G.S. 153A-230.3(a)(1). The county shall receive from the Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety the amount paid to local confinement facilities under G.S. 148-32.1 for prisoners which are in the unit, but do not meet the eligibility of requirements under G.S. 153A-230.3(a)(1). (1987, c. 207, s. 1; 1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1106, ss. 2, 3; 1989, c. 761, s. 2; 2000-140, s. 93.1(a); 2001-424, s. 12.2(b); 2009-372, s. 7; 2011-145, s. 19.1(h).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014