The Commission shall have the following duties and powers:
(1) To establish the criteria and screening process to be used to determine which cases shall be accepted for review.
(2) To conduct inquiries into claims of factual innocence, with priority to be given to those cases in which the convicted person is currently incarcerated solely for the crime for which he or she claims factual innocence.
(3) To coordinate the investigation of cases accepted for review.
(4) To maintain records for all case investigations.
(5) To prepare written reports outlining Commission investigations and recommendations to the trial court at the completion of each inquiry.
(6) To apply for and accept any funds that may become available for the Commission's work from government grants, private gifts, donations, or devises from any source. (2006-184, s. 1; 2010-171, s. 5; 2011-284, s. 12.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014