The following definitions apply in this Part:
(1) Comprehensive plan. - The comprehensive plan, land-use plan, small area plans, neighborhood plans, transportation plan, capital improvement plan, official map, and any other plans regarding land use and development that have been officially adopted by the governing board.
(2) Developer. - A person, including a governmental agency or redevelopment authority, who intends to undertake any development and who has a legal or equitable interest in the property to be developed.
(3) Development. - The planning for or carrying out of a building activity, the making of a material change in the use or appearance of any structure or property, or the dividing of land into two or more parcels. "Development", as designated in a law or development permit, includes the planning for and all other activity customarily associated with it unless otherwise specified. When appropriate to the context, "development" refers to the planning for or the act of developing or to the result of development. Reference to a specific operation is not intended to mean that the operation or activity, when part of other operations or activities, is not development. Reference to particular operations is not intended to limit the generality of this item.
(4) Development permit. - A building permit, zoning permit, subdivision approval, special or conditional use permit, variance, or any other official action of local government having the effect of permitting the development of property.
(5) Governing body. - The city council of a municipality.
(6) Land development regulations. - Ordinances and regulations enacted by the appropriate governing body for the regulation of any aspect of development and includes zoning, subdivision, or any other land development ordinances.
(7) Laws. - All ordinances, resolutions, regulations, comprehensive plans, land development regulations, policies, and rules adopted by a local government affecting the development of property, and includes laws governing permitted uses of the property, density, design, and improvements.
(8) Local government. - Any municipality that exercises regulatory authority over and grants development permits for land development or which provides public facilities.
(9) Local planning board. - Any planning board established pursuant to G.S. 160A-361.
(10) Person. - An individual, corporation, business or land trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, State agency, or any legal entity.
(11) Property. - All real property subject to land-use regulation by a local government and includes any improvements or structures customarily regarded as a part of real property.
(12) Public facilities. - Major capital improvements, including, but not limited to, transportation, sanitary sewer, solid waste, drainage, potable water, educational, parks and recreational, and health systems and facilities. (2005-426, s. 9(a).)
Sections: Previous 160A-400.10 160A-400.11 160A-400.12 160A-400.13 160A-400.14 160A-400.15 160A-400.20 160A-400.21 160A-400.22 160A-400.23 160A-400.24 160A-400.25 160A-400.26 160A-400.27 160A-400.28 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014